Georgia to Sakartvelo

Amy's Adventures in the Peace Corps. The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

I just turned 25 but now I look like a 12 year old boy…

A word of advice: if any of you ever come to the Republic of Georgia, whatever you do, under any circumstance, DON’T get your hair cut. Throughout Russia and most of the former Soviet Union the mullet is really popular. Its all this guys fault…

Dima Bilon is a famous Russian popstar with a class 5 mullet that everyone is imitating these days. I was forced to get a haircut for reasons I will not mention and it was one of the scariest experiences I’ve had in Georgia. It was NOT a language barrier thing either... I explained clearly what I wanted and she ignored my requests. Before I even had time to realize what was going on she was going to town on the back of my hair.


Amy: “I can’t see what you’re doing back there! Please don’t make it too short…”
Hairdresser Lady: “Don’t worry, I know what’s good for your hair. Just trust me.”
Amy: “No you don’t understand, I don’t want it too short or layered back there!!”

I obviously don’t know what I want; I’m just a foreigner. By that point it was too late. I put my hand back there to feel the damage and cringed. The back of my hair was butchered to the point of no return. It was out of my hands; I had to hope that she could put something together with the rest of my hair to compliment the mess she made. I said (again): “I don’t want bangs, I want to be able to put my hair behind my ears.” She nodded and smiled. I of course could not put my hair behind my ears and I was having flashbacks to the scarring bowl cut I had when I was 10. I went to my friends house afterwards and she did some tricks with bobby pins and now I look sort of somewhat presentable. Its pretty much my fault though...what could I expect from a 3 lari haircut!! I had heard horror stories from volunteers before but my friend recommended this place so I thought it would be ok. Hopefully it will grow out before I return to the states in August 2008.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home