Entertaining the Parentals
I knew it was going to be an interesting trip when the taxi driver from the airport wouldn't let us put our seatbelts on. Bad luck remember! Dad said, "Man, they don't mess around here in Georgia.." We walked around Tbilisi for a day in the heat, risking our lives crossing the roads and hiking up to the fortress overlooking the city (called Narikala and built in the 3rd century). We ate a nice dinner and headed to the night train where the heat was overwhelming. At that point my mom remarked, "Amy we should've met you in London." But it got better... Once we arrived at the village (reeking of b.o.) my host sisters and female relatives/neighbors had an amazing meal prepared for us and we stuffed our faces the entire time we were there. They were so nice and hospitable and really made my parents feel welcome. My host father and his brother used our visit as an excuse to get wasted in the middle of the afternoon by themselves. By early evening my host uncle was passed out on the bench outside, readjusting himself every 30 minutes or so and eventually falling off the bench without realizing it. He laid there for a while until his mother walked him home.
They brought my little host brother a t-shirt autographed by Zaza Pachulia (the Georgian basketball player that plays for the Hawks) so now he will be the coolest kid in school. I'm really glad they experienced life in the village, even if it was for less than 24 hours! On the way to my house we had to refuse invitations to come eat and drink (some people I knew, some I didn't) because we didn't have enough time, but I think they might've gone crazy if we stayed any longer :)
We took the day train back to Tbilisi and the next day traveled to this cave city about 2 hours outside the city on the Azeri border called Davit Gareja. It was built in the 6th century by monks and it was gorgeous (I'll post some pictures later). In the 14th century Iran invaded and all but 5 or 6 of the monks were beheaded. There are still a few monks that live there. The caves were covered with beautiful frescoes that were almost entirely defaced by the Soviets and Georgian graffiti artists (Dato was here!!) but you can still see some of them clearly.
It was sad saying goodbye! I'm so glad they came and were able to see my life. Now they're living the luxurious life, frolicking around in London while I'm stuck in the village :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home